Leo, the king of our castle

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Favorite rabbit guide for kids (so far)

As an elementary school librarian, reviewing non-fiction books for accuracy is an important part of my job. Leo inspired me to take a closer look at my pet rabbit offerings. I have five books on my shelves, and I can't say I'm completely satisfied with any of them because none of them agree completely with what I have learned about house rabbit care.
Some examples:
  • Only two books include more than a paragraph about keeping your rabbits in the house.
  • All of the books mention pellets as the easiest way to feed rabbits.
  • Most books advise getting rabbits from pet stores or breeders, rather than listing rescue groups or shelters as the best source.
  • Most advise using wood shavings as bedding.
If I accept that all of the books have shortcomings, the one I liked the best was Caring for Your Rabbit by Jill Foran, published in 2003. It has the most comprehensive coverage of rabbit care, plus lots of related information to help school-age children decide if a rabbit is the right pet for them. As a bonus, Caring for Your Rabbit listed the House Rabbit Society website as a place to find additional information. It was the only book that listed HRS. My kids have enjoyed reading the book and it's definitely helped them learn about bunny care.

The books at my library were all published in the '90s or early 2000s. Has anyone come across a recent children's reference book that discusses house rabbits? If so, please let me know. I'd love to add it to my library collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment